Sunday, August 14, 2011

Getting Started!

We started the year with a BANG! Literally, the storm raged, the power went out, and we kept our meeting going! Just one example of the dedication this group of professionals displays time and again.

Our meeting touched on themes of rigor, cross curricular support and RELEVANCE. Curriculum must be relevant to students, and our curriculum particularly must be presented as relevant and necessary to school goals and overall instructional quality of our programs.

One exciting outcome of the meeting was the recognition of our team approach to provide support for each other and for classroom teachers as well. There are many opportunities available to work collaboratively with others to infuse a higher level of rigor and relevance in our power curriculum this year!

8 comments:

  1. Now we are moving forward,and will begin to build our knowledge through a virtual professional learning community. I look forward to reading your posts and engaging in some "grand conversations".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the part in the second video with Sir Ken making the observation that the arts nourish the entire student. The "aesthetic" versus the "anaesthetic" student.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Test post Vaccaro

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find the second video very intriguing! It reminds me the theory of multiple intelligence. This will inspire me to utilize instructional strategies and assessments that allow students to demonstrate beyond level 1 & 2.

    Xenia Cheung

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found both the videos & the article very encouraging. Sometime working in special education can put blinders on a person. Dealing with students with language and memory deficiencies mean extra attention to level 1 or 2 instruction. And while I love creative activity, the fine motor skills of my students often discourage me from including too many activities. I will keep Dagget's assertion in mind when I plan - I should be preparing student for independence by utilizing creative lessons requiring real world problem solving skills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm adding a blog post, just to say that I feel like I have been so far behind the curve that I didn't realize there even was a curve this year! but I'm looking forward to doing more work with this type of professional development next year, so I can actually get more out of it. Starting at the beginning will be a better way to understand it and use it in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete